Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Gotta have goals!



The one thing I have learned through out this whole process is that I have to set goals.  Whether it is to lose 5 pounds, or to not eat chocolate for a week (something I still struggle with constantly), I need to have something that I can strive for.  I need to have something to push for, as my motivation.

My goal at the start of the year was to start running.  That was a huge deal for me!! I have always hated running! When I was in high school and we had to run the mile, I used to get out of it because I had knee problems.  Now I really did have problems with my knee (I blame the 15 years of dancing) but I could have at least tried, but I didn't, I just got myself out of it.  I was always the kid that chose the least strenuous 'sport' to play in gym. 

So this spring I started running.  I started out by using the Couch to 5k program, but then just started running on my own.  I found that I had a lot more stamina than I thought I would from working out at Next Level.  I knew that I wouldn't get myself to keep running with out a goal (especially once I moved to Jersey), so I signed up for 2 5ks! I ran my first 5k in July; Utica, NY's Boilermaker Road Race. It was my first 5k, I'm not very happy with my time (38:11), but it's something to work on. 

Sprinting to the finish!!
Photo Courtesy of WKTV New Channel 2

I just wanted my finishers pin! 

I am so happy to say that I ran it! I want to improve on my time next year, and then someday I would like to be able to run the 15k...that's a goal I need to work towards.  

I ran my second 5k, and the one that I was most excited for (and nervous about), this weekend.  I ran in the Warrior Dash in Windham, NY! What is the Warrior Dash, you may ask? Well, they describe it as a run "where 12 obstacles from hell await you along this 3.20 mile course" and I think that's a pretty accurate description.  With one thing left out...they don't tell you that it is up a ski mountain! And when I say up, I mean reallllly far up, and steep!! There was a huge group of us from Next Level that went and ran together.
Photo Credit- Cyndi St. James
Have the huge group made it a lot of fun.  I stuck with my friend Christie for the run, and I won't lie that first half mile sucked! But once we started getting to the obstacles, we started to forget about the hill, and then it started going back down.  It was so much fun! I can't wait to do it again.  My goal for next year is to do 3!  I  wasn't running it for time, I just wanted to finish without killing myself.  But next time I'd like to try and push myself more.  But I made it and got my medal!



Here's some of our dirty group at the finish and my sis and I with our shirts, medals and viking hats:



Photo Credit- Cyndi St. James
Sister Warriors!

It was a fantastic weekend, and I am so happy to say that I finished 2 5k's (and I'm registered for 2 more this year!)

Now I just need to set some new goals...I'm thinking of working my way up to be able to run the Boilermaker 15k by 2014, so maybe some 10ks for 2013. Plus, I want to run at least 2, if possible 3, Warrior Dashes in 2013, plus the Mighty Run (more on that later).  The other thing I've thought about training for is to do a triathlon sprint....gotta look into that and figure out some training.


Remember to set those goals and push till you achieve them! You can accomplish anything you set your mind to!!

Me, David and Kristen
Next Level Strong
Beast Mode!



No comments:

Post a Comment